Here are some common transitional words and phrases that will help you lead your reader through your composition.
- To introduce another item in a series or show addition:
first, second, third. . . , furthermore, moreover, in addition, finally, similarly, besides, for one thing. . . , for another, lastly
- To introduce an example:
in particular, for instance, for example, to illustrate, specifically, namely
- To introduce a result or cause:
consequently, as a result, hence, thus, because, accordingly, therefore, since
- To introduce a conclusion or summary:
in conclusion, all in all, clearly, altogether, finally, evidently, actually, to sum up
- To introduce a concession to a counter argument:
certainly, it is true, granted, naturally, to be sure, of course
- To introduce a restatement:
in other words, in simpler terms, that it
- To introduce an opposing point:
however, nevertheless, on the contrary, on the other hand, but, yet, in contrast, still
- To resume the original line of reasoning after a concession:
nonetheless, even though, nevertheless, all the same, still
every week or two, once a month for the next year, every day at noon
over the next few months, during the hours that followed, throughout the night
- Specific Time:
10:00 o’clock this morning, after lunch, when she was twenty-one
- Beginning, End
in the beginning, when it all started, at first
at last, finally, when all was said and done
nearby, miles away, in the next county, next door
north of the city, west of the Rockies, under the ocean’s surface
These tips came from the course Elements of Effective Writing II: Form and Composition
Using proper grammar, punctuation and mechanics make your writing correct. In order to truly write well, you must also master the arts of form and composition. From sentence structure to polishing your prose, this workshop will enhance your writing – no matter what type of writing you do.
You will learn:
- How to fix common sentence problems (sentence fragments, run-on sentences, dangling and misplaced modifiers)
- How using sentence variety can your writing interesting.
- How to build paragraphs, sentence by sentence, to write engaging prose.
- How to polish your prose to write an original composition.