Oftentimes, it is easy to come up with an entire blog post if you have a headline that inspires you. You can even group headlines by topic. So, if you are writing a blog about bookbinding, you can create a dozen headlines each for the following categories: sourcing natural materials, binding techniques, paper quality and sizes, bookbinding groups and networks, history of bookbinding, etc.
The best headlines offer at least one of two things: 1) something useful and 2) something compelling.
You should explain the benefit someone will receive by clicking on the headline to read the entire article.
For example, if you are writing a blog post about a bookbinding style that is fast and easy, you could describe the benefit this way:
- Save Time By Using the McClosky Bookbinding Stitch
- Short on Time? The Quickest Bookbinding Stitch to Use
- A Simple Way to Bind Your First Book in Less Than 1 Hour
- 1 Hour to Your First Bookbinding Project
The headline offers the reader something overt—a clear explanation of the benefit the article will give them. Readers are not just learning about a new stitch; they are also saving time. You could also tweak the headline if you are targeting beginners or experts or both.
Think of headlines as the core value that someone will receive from reading your blog post. If you can’t think of a compelling headline, then you have to ask yourself, is this topic something I should be writing a blog post about at all?
Learn more about how to create a blog post in class. Blogging 101 will guide you through the entire blogging process—how to setup your blog, where to start, and much more. You’ll learn how to attract readers and how to market your writing. Start a successful blog today and get noticed by editors and publishers.
This partial lecture came from the course Blogging 101.
- Effective techniques for writing online
- How to set attainable goals and create a successful blog
- How to come up with ideas and content for your blog
- How to manage your blog effectively
- How to create an editorial calendar to keep your content on track
- How to interact with readers on your blog and build a sense of community
- What search engine optimization is and how to use it to your advantage
- Practical tips on integrating your blog with social media