- Reminisce and think of an incident in your life you think was strange or unusual and might have been paranormal. Think of it as a scene from a novel using yourself as protagonist. You can write it out if you wish and use it for reference.
- Try telling the above story to another person. Is there a difference between a story conveyed by print and one read aloud? Did your story change between your thinking it up and reciting it?
- Imagine that your house or the house of a friend is invaded by a disturbed spirit. What would happen? Are you scared just thinking about it?
This creative exercise came from the course Writing the Paranormal Novel
This course will give you everything you need to successfully introduce supernatural elements into any story without shattering the believability of your fictional world or falling victim to common clichés. You’ll also learn techniques for researching your novel and strategies for getting published.
You will learn how to:
- Choose supernatural elements and decide what impact the supernatural will have on your fictional world
- Create engaging and relatable characters—from supernatural protagonists and antagonists to supporting players (both human and non-human)
- Develop strong plots and complementary subplots
- Write believable fight scenes
- Create realistic dialogue